Monday, August 22, 2016

I Think I've Found the Problem


This year has been a great year for starting (and stopping, and then re-starting in some cases) some new habits. A notable one is to kickoff morning in solitude with a book about success and an exquisite, hot cup of coffee.

This month I'm reading The Success Principles by Jack Canfield. If you haven't, I truly recommend getting a copy and digging in.

Today as I slurped my way through my coffee (and unfortunately I do slurp) with my eyes glued to the page I read about Success Principle Number 50: Tell the Truth Faster and it reminded me of a really, funny story. 

If only … I had read that chapter some time ago.

Come to think of it, coffee was involved then too! In fact, coffee was the steamy protagonist.

The cast was small. Coffee. Keyboard. One elbow. First the elbow met the coffee and then coffee introduced herself himself itself to the keyboard. It was downhill after that.

I mopped up the mess, blotted the keyboard, disposed of the empty cup (sadly) and the paper towels and got back to work. At least that was the plan, but ...

kkkkkkkkkkk .@#^ KKKK. wsaaaaaaa……. ,,,é

Work wasn’t going so well and my keyboard was definitely not cooperating. In fact it seemed to be a little jittery.

Did I say, "Help, I spilled coffee all over my keyboard!" to the IT person? No! I figured the evidence was gone and I was too embarrassed. I figured no one would notice. How many times have you said that and regretted it?

I really, really did think that. Looking back, I don’t even see how I did.

IT to the rescue! Sure enough he notices the odd, random misfiring of my keyboard. This has nothing to do with coffee. The smart gent picks up up and turns it over and out pours a river of coffee and without missing a beat he says “I think I’ve found the problem.”

I have to say I was really impressed with his deadpan humor.

If I had only read Success Principle 50 back then I would have saved myself some serious embarrassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment